Blogger We Love: Kristin Porter of Iowa Girl Eats
If you haven’t visited Iowa Girl Eats, you must! Kristin answered a few of our BHGFood questions recently —read on to learn more about this fabulous foodie!
1) Must-have kitchen accessory: Food processors. I have both a mini and large food processor, and make use of at least one of them every week for quickly chopping veggies, creating homemade pizza dough, creaming mashed potatoes, making homemade salsa, and even mixing sauces. They’re extremely versatile and save me so much time in the kitchen!
2) Favorite Ingredient: Fresh lemons. I love how you can use both the zest and juice in tangy vinaigrettes, grill marinades for chicken or fish, or even in refreshing, summertime cocktails. The taste is pure, fresh, and instantly provides a huge flavor boost, without adding extra calories or fat.
3) Biggest Cooking Inspiration: My Mom. Even with a full time job, husband and three children, she had a delicious and healthy dinner on the table every night at 5pm when I was growing up, so my family could sit down and eat together. I hope to be like her one day, and do the same for my family!
4) Dish you’re most proud of: I’d say Superfood Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette. I adore the combination of sweet and savory flavors, crunchy and creamy textures, and all the eye-popping colors in the dish.
5) Salty or sweet: Ahhh, the eternal debate of salty or sweet! Ideally it’d be mouthwatering combo of both salty AND sweet, like Prosciutto, Cantaloupe & Cashew Salad, or Sea Salt & Caramel Brownies…but if I had to choose, I’d pick salty. Then immediately regret it and say sweet…so, sweet!
6) Favorite person to cook for: My husband. Nothing motivates me more than making him, and his taste buds, happy.
7) BHG Recipe You’d Recommend: I made Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Peppermint Filling for Valentine’s Day a couple years ago, and my husband STILL asks me to make them. Decadent, yet bite-sized, so you can treat yourself to a couple!
8) Your go-to dinner dish: In the spring and summertime, definitely grilled chicken or fish. Grilling is awesome because cleanup is basically nil, and you’re not unnecessarily heating up the house by turning on the oven or stove. Grilled Iowa sweet corn or asparagus are perfect sidekicks, with sliced strawberries and blueberries with a dollop of whip cream for dessert!