Blogger We Love: Megan Gordon of A Sweet Spoonful
Megan Gordon is a Seattle-based food writer and recipe developer. She contributes weekly to Apartment Therapy’s The Kitchn and KQED’s Bay Area Bites. In addition to maintaining her popular food blog, A Sweet Spoonful, Megan writes for numerous local and national magazines, and crafts an almost-famous line of granolas for her baking company, Marge.
1) Must-have kitchen accessory: I love my immersion blender for soups in the winter and smoothies, salad dressings, and sauces in the summer.
2) Favorite Ingredient: If I had to choose just one, probably a flaky finishing salt like Maldon. I use it on everything from scrambled eggs to pizzas or sprinkled on desserts like chocolate chip cookies.
3) Biggest Cooking Inspiration: My mom’s best friend Carol makes the most incredible salads and almost artful salad dressings. Lately, I’ve been really inspired by Tamar Adler’s approach to simple cooking with what you have around the pantry.
4) Dish you’re most proud of: I love the cardamom cake I recently made for the blog. For a savory option that works well for breakfast, lunch or dinner the Shakshuka (tomato, pepper, and egg stew) is a winner every time.
5) Salty or sweet: Sweet. No question.
6) Favorite person to cook for: I love cooking for my partner, Sam. Mainly because it gives us a change to talk about how we’d approach a certain dish or how we’d do it differently the next time. It opens up a conversation, which is my favorite part about cooking in general.
7) Recipe You’d Recommend: In my opinion, a Buttermilk Pie is season-less and so delicious. This version is true to its roots, with the simplest of ingredient lists and a fragrant vanilla buttermilk flavor profile.
8) Your go-to dinner dish: This time of year: hearty salads with farmers market veggies, soft cheese, and beans. Served with crusty bread and good butter.